Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Rental car blues...


locked out Posted by Hello

Rental cars rock. I like the concept of being given a vehicle, one you can't afford, using it to its full extent and handing it back to be someone else's problem. Using it to less than its full extent is a waste.

Yesterday I encountered a certain amount of wasted time waiting on the RAC. It wasn't their fault, they were busy... getting the keys out of my jacket, locked in the boot.

As i have already established, i'm an idiot. This isn't news to anyone who knows me. I managed to unlock my boot, take off my jacket placing it on the parcel shelf, (keys in pocket) then slam the thing closed. The moment of realisation hit just about the same time as the boot closing. I stood there looking at the car thinking "that didn't just happen, i couldn't have been so stupid.." It did, and I was. If this had been a soap, there would have been either a crash zoom shot on my face or one of those slow pans out from above to "no suprises" by radiohead.

The rental company, who shall remain nameless in case there are legal issues here, told me that they don't have a spare, not in this coulntry anyway, it would have to come from England and would take 3 days.

"..the cheapest and most efficient way to re-gain access to your car, Mr McIvor, would be to smash a window..."

I kid you not. The "customer adviser" on the other end of the phone who was in a flap did not really want to help was trying to convinvce me to smash her property because it "would be better in the long run".

The long and short of it is that the RAC with the aid of a 12v battery had the sucker open in 3 minutes flat. I probably would get in trouble for saying how he did it, so i won't. The moral here is: Think before you slam, maybe rental cars ain't so groovy after all.

(also never leave valuables in a ford focus, cuse they are dead easy to break into).

No comments: