Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Its a new dawn, Its a new day.......

Well kids, 2008 is here and already I'm getting behind!

I've decided to listen / read the bible cover to cover this year so that i may be better equipped to deal with life's fun day to day grind.

Because i'm a lazy man and a bad reader I've subscribed to the one year bible on radio podcast available here or at your lovely itunes store.

I spend most of my life in my car, listening to music or more increasingly radio shows like This American Life or Radiolab. Surely then there is time to at least then listen to the bible? I think so.

The question i have for you lovely folks is: Does anyone know any other listen in a year service that i can listen to the bible? I ask because, much as i enjoy listening to Tom Dooley's lovely radio announcers voice, there is more here than just the readings of the Bible. There is a also a short sermon and his thoughts on the passage to go through. I'd like to just get to the point.

Also there is an assortment of mood music on the podcast, ranging from anything near Chinese traditional music to some dude with an accoustic guitar adding a bit of tension. I'm not a fan of this stuff as it detracts from what I'm trying to listen to, not that I'm sure it doesn't go over pretty well with the American intended audiences, and I'm just glad the Bible is available to listen to for free, full stop.

Another option is to listen to the audio version of The Bible Gateway. Here, from a drop down menu you can choose between real audio or a flash player version of several bible versions. Once again I am happy this content is available for free, but this time the text is read by Max McLean, who goes at it like it is Shakespere, putting dramatic slants on key words. Also, this version is only available while online, you can't take it with you.

I am, of course, aware that I should not complain. Many people do not have access to any version of the bible, printed or otherwise. But, if you do happen to know of a site that lets you download the bible for playback later that has no bells or whistles, please let me know.

Happy new year folks, may God bless you.

Currently listening to:
Song: Firecracker
Artist: Ryan Adams
Album: Gold

1 comment:

Lindsay & Lilian said...

Matt,
You could try http://www.dailyaudiobible.com/
I'm sure you've googled "audio bible"