Friday, April 18, 2008

On the heap



This week I said goodbye to my old car.



My brother sold me this lovely Peugeot 306 when he was moving to Singapore many, many years ago. I put over 125,000 miles on the thing before it took early retirement in my folks' driveway.



About 2 years ago a guy turned up at my front door offering to buy the car. I was unsure as I wanted to do repairs and get it roadworthy just in case I lost my job, or, maybe I could have passed it on to someone. I ignored the fact that the car was damp, damaged and never to move again.



On friday night the guy from 2 years ago called back in desperate need of parts. I agreed to let him take it away. Everybody say 'Awwwwwwwwwww'.



I had some excellent memories in my little 306:

It ferried me and friends (at speed) back and forth for about 5 years.
I acquired 6 penalty points in it.
I went to the Giants Causeway for the first time in it.
I went on my first date in it.
I got to know the girl I love during long drives in it.
I drove to gigs in it (mine and others).
I spilled countless cups of coffee in it.
I had everything I owned stolen from it.
I sang in it. (sometimes I cried in it)
I got lost in it.
It was my living room.
It was my office for 3 jobs.
It was my personal space.

I've had several cars before and since, but really this is the car that I did most of my growing up in. The car did 125,000 miles, but It was me that did a lot of mileage.

Farewell old friend.

1 comment:

☆Laura☆ said...

Aww I feel for you... I would be so sad getting rid of my wee Daisy Rowan - cars hold so many memories (especially first cars altho i know that ain't your first!)