Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Eric T

Last week I went to see Eric Taylor and Gina Villalobos.
(organised by the Real Music Club)

The poster for Gina Villalobos had a quote from Bob Harris "A contender for album of the year". Bob is usually right on the money, and we weren't let down.

It took me a song or two to get into the set. To be honest I think the same could be said for Gina, as she and Ben Pringle(2nd guitar and vocal harmony) had apparently slept through the time that they should have been doing soundcheck.

Maybe it was the pint of cider, or maybe the company, but after a while Gina's scratchy vocals started to sound pretty good, so good in fact, I bought her new album. (haven't really listened to it yet, I'll review it later!)

I actually tried to buy her first album, but she insisted the new one was better. I tried to reason saying I'd never really heard a lot of her stuff and I'd like to start at the start. She just said "this one's the current one that's getting the radio play. Hey, would I steer you wrong?" We'll see. Her first album was cheaper than the second.

Eric Taylor started with little introduction. I was actually busy arguing to buy the aforementioned Villalobos album when he began. I was immediately completely mesmorised by his husky voice and metal finger picking. Hope Gina was not offended that the focus had well and truly shifted from buying her second album to not really listening to what she was saying.

I didn't even wait to have the album signed, I handed over my money and told her to keep the change. She looked a little taken aback that I wasn't interested in getting the album personalised.

I don't feel bad. When Eric Taylor starts to play the room falls silent and you pay him your full attention weather you like it or not.

I sat down and probably didn't blink for the rest of the set. I was engrossed in the stories and the intimate performance that followed. I did actually really really need to use the toilet for most of the evening and held on as long as I could. (till almost the end).

The highpoint for me was the song "Hemmingway's shotgun". A pretty dark song about, well, I'm sure lots of things including his native Texas. I'm not going to explain it, find it and take a listen.

"Beautiful danger wears two faces best,
like the beaded lizard of the west,
Hemmingway's Shotgun finally told the truth,
but he never said a word about you"


Much ta to Raj Nigel and James for a great evening's craic.

Currently listening to: Blind melon "Walk"

No comments: