Friday, March 16, 2007

Voting...

Voting day was the other Wednesday. I decided to break with tradition and vote, even though there was no one worth the ever so slight wearing down of my car tires to get to the polling station. The thing about politics here, something I should make clear I know nothing about, is that the candidates are some of the strangest looking people I've ever seen.

Here are some pictures:



I think if I was deciding purely on looks, it'd probably be the green party. They look the most cuddly. They look genuinely healthy and pleasant. None of their candidates, unlike some of the more mainstream parties, had to have the light photoshop'd back into their eyes cuse it doesn't naturally reside there anymore.

Despite the fact that no one really represents me and the strange looking candidates, I decided to vote. I think it is important because not everyone has the privilege to around the world. People would die for the right to vote.

I'd like to think that I could make a difference. I see this fairytale scenario where my vote is the casting vote. If I had not voted then it would all be hung and have to be done all over again! In reality it probably matters little what I think.

/rant

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of strange looking politicians, have you ever seen former S. Belfast MLA Esmond Birnie? http://www.uup.org/media_images_birnie_right.jpg

Nice chap, but... yeah, not entirely blessed in the looks department. I believe the old Portadown News site done a thing about him being really an alien once.

As a politics student, you know I really wanna give a whole rant about why it's important to vote and blah de blah de blah. But instead I'll just pat your head & say "congratumalations" for casting your vote =)

PS. From our little talk on the night about who we voted for:
"Hey #1"
"Hey #2"
tehe