Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ah Crap....


I found out this morning that I'm not going to be working for Steria for a whole lot longer.

Let me explain. We have a contract to work for a government client. That client was reviewing our contract and put it out to tender.

We made the final 3 list of contractors, but not the final 2. Being forward thinking, our management decided to talk to the finalists. We have special knowledge of the setup here and are pretty indispensable.

We only got an offer from one of the finalists, who agreed to hire us in the event of them winning the contract. The other finalist told us to get lost.

The finalist who told us to get lost won the contract.

This is not as bad as it first seems. I am a little gutted, because i like working for Steria, but this is where TUPE comes in. TUPE, pronunced "tue-pay" stands for 'Tranfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment)'.

Basically, I can't be made redundant from a job that will still exist under a new company. I have the legal right to be employed by the new contractor, at the same money and with the same conditions i enjoy with Steria.

A change is as good as a rest eh? I'm a little anxious, but I do believe in God having a plan for my life. I don't think i'm going hungry anytime soon. I will have a job with the new guys and i'm sure most of my workmates have little choice but to do the same.

Prayer please. Updates to follow.

2 comments:

sharmani said...

Hi Matt

Sorry to hear about what you are going through. Chin up. All will be unfolded in due time. ;o)

(I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here.)
http://lisa1973.blogs.friendster.com/much_ado_about_nothing/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=511556825

Shiny Sarah said...

It will all work out finey. And indeed you will not be going hungry any time soon- we all love feeding you. Although, I'm not sure what a full-time diet of just soured cream, cookies, and cherry pie would do for your figure... Hmm... Though perhaps then you could get a job as Santa! =D x