Thursday, November 22, 2007

Firewalkin'... the story.




Kind thanks to Nigel C for taking pictures. Video to follow. (click to enlarge) That's me top left, my friend Raj top right, and me again below, but with 3 feet!

Back a few months ago the Belfast Giants official supporters club announced that for children in need this year there would be a "firewalk". Jo wanted to take photos of this wonderous event, so we made a deal that she'd take photos if i did the firewalk. I didn't really think much more about it till yesterday morning.

There was a 45 minute briefing beforehand so that the guy could explain:
• The coals are hot
• I would get black feet
• You might get a blister
• Basics of reflexology
• Beliefs of some firewalkers
• He was the world record holding firewalker (mentioned at least 17 times)

Some of the stuff he talked about was fairly interesting. For instance, in some parts of the world firewalking was a test of honour. Girls are forced to firewalk and if they don't get blisters then they are virgins. If they then get blisters they are dishonoured. (It is intersting to point out that most people looked worried at this point.)

The guy also mentioned he was the world record holding firewalker.

Some cultures use firewalking as an indication of health. If you get a blister in a certain area of your foot, consult reflexology charts, figure out which part of your body is effected, (indicated obviously by the presence of a blister), and have the doctor sort you out.

The guy also mentioned he was the world record holding firewalker.

Despite all this, the walk itself was a fairly painless exercise, apparently due to my ora, poor heat conduction, static electricity, the belief that I could do it and not be harmed...... etc.

I walked over the coals 3 times in total, cuse i was excited.
I did not have a life changing experience.
I didn't 'find myself', cuse i was here all along.

It felt like walking on gravel, it was not sore, but later on in the evening i developed a burning sensation on my right foot.

A small blister appeared on my right foot, but just in case you are curious, my chastity is however intact.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hararya fatty! Glad you popped your fire-walkin cherry. Stuck in a MOM course here. Virtual machines takin over the place. None of yer fancy screen side-swappin either. Boo ya. Computer game night any time soon ? im on call remember. :(