Saturday, November 19, 2005

A hell of a week. (and a ripping yarn)

This week, I've been mostly on Microsoft's "2273a Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Server 2003 Environment" Many thanks to the kindly folks at Steria who sent me, and of course, paid for the whole she-bang.

Now perhaps I'll be able to hold down a conversation about server-ie thing-ies. (at least, that's the plan).

There were only 5 of us; Declan, Davy, Pete and the trainer Marek. Which meant that I got lots of help when I inevitably screwed things up. We learned a lot. We also had a good lunch at a different Belfast pub every day. (I must recommend Whites Tavern - the oldest tavern in Belfast, which I never noticed before. It is located off the side street beside Dixons at donegall arcade).

Here is a picture of us working hard on friday afternoon!

On the Tuesday I had an induction to attend at the gym (valley leisure centre, cuse its cheap!) to make sure I'd not die on any of their machines. I was in a little bit of a hurry to get there, so as soon as class was finished I ran to the parking spot I had in the multi-story carpark next door.

The payment machine took forever, and I ended up forgetting my card and only realizing when I'd reached the 4th floor! I ran back down and the attendant made a "you silly plonker" face at me. I ran back up the stairs.

When I got to my car I realized that the front left tyre was flat. I swore a little and got on with changing it asap. The car I currently drive is a rental, It gets changed every few months, so I'm never that sure where things like spare tyres are, as makes vary.

I got the spare out of the boot, undid the complicated alloy wheel lock nut thingies and started wrestling the tyre into position. Then a snag. There was a loud rip sound from the back of my jeans.

As I got the flat tyre back into the boot, the 37th person to walk past and see me in strife offered me help, just as it was too late to do anything. I thanked him kindly anyway.

I got down the levels as soon as I could, but not soon enough to avoid my ticket having expired. I was holding up the traffic behind me who were getting irate and beeping their horns. I got out of the car and was met by the same parking attendant who still showed the "you silly plonker" face. After the brief explanation of events and examining the hole in my trousers her agreed to let me go without paying. The "you silly plonker" expression changed to one of "you poor kid" mixed with merriment.

Traffic was a nightmare. I reached the Gym about 6 to 10 mins late. The person doing my induction refused to see me as "punctuality is key". I once again explained my predicament and she seemed to think my excuses were valid, especially having a 6 inch hole in my trousers. (I still didn't get my induction though - bloody typical). Nevertheless I filled in a form to say I wasn't dying, wouldn't die from exercise, and if I did - it wasn't their fault. I did the workout of my life to relieve the anger I had accumulated and had a soak in the jacuzzi.

I put my torn jeans back on and wandered around Tesco getting some stuff for tea and headed over to Jo's house.

And Sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That'd show them!

*shakes fist at the nasty gym peoples*