Tuesday, January 17, 2006

So I've been in a gym for a while now...

...and the problems with going are as follows:

1. I'm a pretty skinny ginger 11 stone weakling with terrible dress sense.

2. They play industrial dance / euphoria nonsense music way too loud.

I am hoping to overcome the first problem, but it will take time, maybe years.

The second problem is a little more tricky, but thanks to my trusty Ipod, (being turned up to 11), I can blast rock and or good pop into my ears at a frightening volume canceling out the effect of the mind numbing dispicableness.

The tunes they are playing are largely badly adapted 80's or 90's songs. The standard formula is to slow/speed the melody down to about half of the speed and play a euphoric 'twice the speed a drummer could ever manage' beat over the top. ALL of the songs are the same. The same beat, the same formula.

Starts off with the slowed/sped up sample by itself and slowly the beat raises in volume until it is overpowering. Then, and here is the clever bit, everything stops. The beat then resumes without the sample. The sample joins in after 20 - 30 seconds and gaines in volume. Eventually it all stops again. The song then starts over again with the sample by itself, then the beat builds up to a euphoric ending.

Sometimes at the end of the song they slow the sample down (but don't lower the pitch) so slow that it sounds all distorted and scary. Then maybe stop one more time and bring the beat in again.

I've heard all sorts of abominations, but there are some that border on comedy. Among the most ridiculous are remixes of:

*Sitting on the dock of the bay
*When a man loves a woman
*My heart will go on
*Friends in low places

All of the above have caused me to burst out loud laughing and completely ruin my concentration.

I've resolved the situation by blasting my Ipod really really loud and drowning them out.

I find Metallica works best.

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO: "Through the never" - Metallica

1 comment:

Jo said...

are you kidding? they've done that one already! =/