Saturday, March 01, 2008

Sleep through the static......

Anyone who has ever owned a Tesco "value" alarm clock and has trouble with early mornings will identify with the album title of Jack Johnson's latest offering. (the damn things always lose their tuning and attempt to wake you with white noise - i've slept through this kind of static more than once)

Anyway, you know what you are getting with Jack Johnson. Summer tunes and thoughtful, reflective tales, usually of love and loss. I can listen to this stuff all day.

"Brushfire Fairytales" was my sumer album of 2002. Ok, so I stole it from my good buddy Dave Allen. He bought it after we'd been impressed by the track "flake" on a computer we'd been servicing for a Canadian. It took 2 more albums for JJ to hit the bigtime in the UK, "In Between Dreams" got lots of airplay on BBC radio.

The elitist in me wanted to let go as his fame grew. The music wasn't just mine anymore, everyone knew a song or two, even the spides.

All this being so, the new album does not dissapoint. My favorite line is in the first track "All at once". After describing the state of the world and how it hangs a little heavy on us he says: "sometimes it feels like a heart is no place to be singing from at all...." I feel like that some days.

Some lines from the title track:

"Who needs sleep when we’ve got love?
Who needs keys when we’ve got clubs?
Who needs please when we’ve got guns?
Who needs peace when we’ve gone above
But beyond where we should have gone?"

:)

1 comment:

Shiny Sarah said...

Jack Johnson always makes me think of dozing in the back of your car all tuckered out from the 4 of us running around the North Coast all day. Poifect.

And Tesco Value alarm clocks? I'm right there with ya. Ugh. Hate them screechy things.